Tuesday, November 7, 2023

50 miles walked and interesting art exhibit in Wetlands

Where we walk they have a reward system: for five walks you get a button. Got it quite a while ago. For 50 miles you get a Wetlands Tote. Saturday morning, while at home on the computer I got an email, my birthday, that I had my 50 miles in and could pick up my tote at the Nature Center. Every time we walk in The Wetlands we go to their walkers website and record our miles for that day.  I knew I was close to 50 but didn't realize I'd made it. Of course I had to go over there and pick it up. Luckily the day was cool as it was afternoon when I went on my walk. And this is my tote. 

Just for the heck of it I put what I just wrote into the app Chatgpt and indicated I wanted it to be more humorous. This is what Chatgpt AI gave me. "

"So there I was, minding my own business, casually strolling through The Wetlands, when suddenly, out of the blue, I get an email telling me I've walked 50 miles! I thought, 'Wow, I've basically become a professional walker without even realizing it!' I mean, who needs to join a marathon when you can just accidentally walk your way into a Wetlands Tote? So, I hopped over to the Nature Center like I was getting an award for some epic achievement. I walked in like I was expecting a red carpet and a cheering crowd, and there it was, my well-deserved tote. I strutted out with my tote like I was carrying the holy grail of wetlands fashion. Who knew that my feet would be the key to such glamorous rewards!"

Not what I expected but for sure funnier.

But besides that. While leaving the Nature Center I took a different trail home and came upon a new Art in The Wetlands installation. The info about it. "Ten talented artists from all over Nevada have been selected to create temporary art pieces for the outside ROOTED exhibit on a short loop trail in the Nature Preserve of Wetlands Park. Each of the artists were commissioned to build and exhibit an original nature-themed art piece created with environmentally friendly recycled and repurposed materials. Artists include Bella Sanabria-Roman, Dan C. Brady, Deborah A. Lambin, Heather Lang-Cassera, Jeffrey Bennington Grindley with Jason Casey, KD Matheson, Pablo Gonzalez Flores, Scott Marquart, Shan Michael Evans, Xochil Xitlalli. Displays will represent the interwoven roots of nature and the human connection with the natural world. 

The trail leading into the exhibit.  

The first piece. Some of them were titled, if they have a title I included it. This one wasn't. Fragile looking.

A closer look. Everything is made from cut up plastic bottles 


Interesting one. No title. Has ceramic birds and butterflies on it. 

Again a closer look. 
Looks like cactus to me. Maybe Paper Mache.
The art is below the title. 
Rather interesting. 
Closer look at wings, made of very thin wood, maybe balsa wood -lots of work in them 
The next one. Wonder what it means to the artist. 
I like the title. 
At first all I saw was the snake like object - or lightening bolt. 

Then I noticed the opalescence underneath.

I liked this one. No title. Thin blue pieces of plastic, twine or yarn and lights. Kind of pretty. 


Yes, it does kind of resemble a raven. 
Looked like it was made of metal, but with closer look, it is pieces of cardboard. 

Closer look at part of it. Each piece had something written on it. 

Your guess is as good as mine. Fish and rocks. Colorful. 
By the time I got home I'd walked two more miles. I recorded them! My next milestone is 100 miles - 52 down 48 to go for a Wetlands Park Water Sling  - goes around the waist and carries a bottle of water (not included) Not bad for a just turned 85 year old.

7 comments:

Kathy Tycho said...

Congrats on the walking..good for you! By the way with your crafty talent I would say lots of your projects are way better than what was on the Wetland artist walk. Your stained glass would fit right in!

SandyM said...

Happy Birthday - I hope there was ice cream and cake in your day. Congratulation on the 50 miles and on your next goal of 100 miles. That is awesome. Wetlands would be blessed to have some of your art.

Doug and Nancy said...

Love it!! Sounds like a great program. 85 years young and inspiring!!

Ruth's Life is Good said...

Congratulations on the 50 miles!!! And congratulations on 85 years๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚

Carol and Bill said...

Kathy - see you are on your way south. drive safe and enjoy Mazatlan.
Doug and Nancy - I have a couple of friends that I walk with so we keep each other going. Not sure about when it starts to get colder though, walk later in day I guess
Ruth. - we just walk from 2.5 to 3.5 miles at a time. eventually it adds up. Also nice to get outside in such a quiet pretty place.
Sandy- thank you - no cake but a Klondike ice cream. Have to keep walking to keep eating them.

Janet said...

Happy Birthday Carol!๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰Enjoying your walk photos, congratulations on your milestone!

Contessa said...

Congrats on a hitting such a special milestone. Hey a tote bag! Great. So many neat things to see in your walking area.