Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Why is the RV in front of the house?

The heat continues here in Vegas, except for yesterday and today. Yesterday it was only 95 and today only100. However tomorrow it starts going up again up, up to 110 plus for at least until the end of the month. Thank goodness for the last two days...

So why is the RV in front of the house. Had to have our son come over and put the piece back in the engine so it would start and of course jump it again. And he drove it to the house. That was all early yesterday morning. 

And why am I sitting in the driver's seat looking frozen...Well because I bit the bullet and hired a trainer to come over and teach me how to drive the RV.  Yes, a professional RV teacher. Why, cause I didn't want a divorce or to do bodily harm to my son. Both Bill and Gil offered to teach me. NOPE!  Needed someone with no feelings in the game. 
All ready to go. First he had me drive around in our community to get used to turning right and left without any traffic around. Oly just barely ran over a curb with back wheels once. Then he took me out on the roads more or less around where we live. Busy roads!!! Little by little I got less nervous and felt more confident.  But one time when I changed lanes there was a little  "OOO!OOO" from the instructor. Very nicely he reminded me that I had a lot of long vehicle out on my right side and I needed to be a little further away from vehicle I was going around. Managed to get home in one piece. End of lesson for day. But then Bill and I did have to take Jeep out and buy new battery for RV as once stopped it didn't want to start again. 
Second lesson was today. Got a little more daring. Drove down Boulder Highway a ways, busy street then got on Freeway and drove into Arizona. Crossing over the Colorado River. At end of first half of journey we had to stop and get gas. Yes I pulled it up to the pump and even had to back up a little. Then on home same way. About 113 miles round trip. I do tend to go into the rumble strip a bit more than I should. Need to work on that. I feel that is better than drifting into the left lane where there is traffic. Changed lanes to pass a truck - going uphill. Heart in throat all the time. But did it. 
Home safe and sound. End of lessons.  It took me a lot of time to finally decide to do it. Was really unsure if I could. But I did! Kind of proud of this old broad. So now have to take the RV back to the storage lot and park it between two other RVs. Piece of cake - Can I close my eyes while I do it? Of course I have not driven it while towing the jeep. Will eventually have to try that. Then maybe we can take a short trip somewhere. Emphases on SHORT! and MAYBE
So that is my excitement for a few days. The way I felt (and probably looked) 
getting behind the wheel. 
Tomorrow back to normal events. Starting a new "fall" pillow cover. More on that later.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Carol!!!

Mark said...

Never had any doubt that you would do just fine. You got this girl...

Grandma on the Road said...

Good for you!! If I can do it, you can do it! Just keep practicing, and maybe you should take a short trip or two without the toad.

Judy

Kathy Tycho said...

Well aren't you a brave gal! Good for you. You are absolutely right, no family member teaching you is the best idea. Practice and short trips and away you go! Congratulations ๐Ÿ˜Š

Kathy Tycho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SandyM said...

Wonderful, just wonderful. Now get back out there real soon!

Ruth's Life is Good said...

I am always nervous about driving the RV but not as nervous as Larry is sitting in the passenger seat๐Ÿ˜. I tend to overcompensate causing the RV to wander more than it normally does. Congratulations on doing this and best of luck to you on you journey!!

Nancy Kissack said...

Good Job!!!! The more you drive, the more comfortable you will be. But don't wait too long in between. Big wide turns. To be honest, I just drive 55 in the right lane most of the time, rarely passing anyone. It's a much more relaxing drive that way. Towing? You won't even know it's there.

Jackie McGuinness said...

So, so proud of you!!!!

Liz Reynolds said...

Yay! Good for you. A few trips, and soon you’ll be a pro. Bet Billis proud of you too.
Liz

NormSusan said...

Awesome Carol. Way to go!!!

Yvette said...

Good for you! Tawanda!

Carol and Bill said...

Thank you every one for your words of encouragement. Every one was right when they told me it was just like driving the keep. Well except for making turns. But guess I will get used to that, also changing lanes I need to remember there is a lot more vehicle. As for taking trips or even just driving around here. Won't be doing that for a while. Ity is just TOO hot here. Yes it has AC but nothing cools down here when it is over 110 out. Especially with that big windshield. But I am not afraid any more.

Anonymous said...

So very happy to read this. I knew you could do it. Now don't let the rv sit too long without taking it around the block. You don't want to forget what you learned.

Anonymous said...

Signed Contessa