Monday, January 8, 2024

Made my 100 miles. And then some.

 Really not too much to write about. Today we are having heavy winds, our awnings are knocking against the house with some of the gusts up to 40/50 mph. And it is cold. Good day to stay home. Trying to get things done around here - like clean out refrigerator and use up food. Making lists and checking them twice, but know I'll probably forget something. 

This and the header have not been retouched, just what the camera saw. Sunrise over the Wetlands on Jan 5th. Have had a couple more real pretty ones as the weather has been cool, windy and cloudy. 

On Wednesday we tried to walk (usually walk Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) But just as we got started it started to sprinkle. So we decided to walk in the community.  About two blocks into walk the rain got heavier and wind really picked up. I was wearing shorts and a thin long sleeve shirt, did have my umbrella but the wind wanted to turn it inside out. So I gave up and came home. Only about a mile and a quarter that day. Yesterday I dressed warm in long pants and jacket, about 15 minutes into walk, I took my jacket off. We were walking in the Wetlands. The day before I could see several police cars and pickup trucks over there. Wondered what was going on. Turns out there was an invasive species of some kind of water dweller dropped into one of the ponds and they were draining it and catching  whatever it was. Took this picture at the drained pond. This bird doesn't look too happy. 
Surprised  to see the white one here. You can see how much water was taken out of the pond.
When walking we get good views of the mountains around us. Lots of snow up there. One of the ski resorts got 16 inches of new snow Friday. 
Also first time we've seen the Canadian Geese here in this pond this year. I see them flying around once in a while, but  wondered where they were staying. 
Got an email from The Wetlands this morning telling me "Congratulations on reaching the 100-mile marker in the year 2023!!! 

The next time you are here, swing by the Exhibit Gallery between the hours of 9:00am and 3:00pm Tuesday-Sunday to pick up your well-earned WP Water Sling (walking Enthusiast). The Nature Center building is closed on Mondays so will have to figure out when I'll go pick up my "well-earned" gift. Next time we walk is Monday and the center is closed on Mondays. Then Wednesday Bill has an eye doctor appointment in the morning, so no walking,  And Saturday I'll be busy.  Too cold and windy to walk over there today. 

Working on a new diamond painting. You can see the parts I've got done - the brighter section on the right. 

Did walk again this morning and made another 3.5 miles. Weather was nice for walking, but by the time we were coming home the cold wind had picked up again. Then Bill and I went out to run errands. Hit 10,000 steps while in Walmart. Finished day with over 5 miles and 13,000 steps. Ready to go sit down and read. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sunrise photos are spectacular; thanks for sharing. I hope all goes well for Bill when he gets the next eye injection. I will say it again….enjoy Mazatlan to the fullest.

Kathy Tycho said...

Seems like you're busy enough. Congrats on the 100 miles, quite a milestone and 3 1/2 miles is a darn fine walk. I don't envy you the cold but it's downright chilly here in the evenings now

Nancy Kissack said...

I'm really NOT a fan of the wind. You are putting me to shame on walking .. guess I should get busy. Love those diamond dot pictures!

Contessa said...

Way too cold for the Canadian Geese in Canada!!! Contessa