Tuesday, December 19, 2023

65 years old and still being used.

Been in kind of a melancholy mood the last few days. This highchair is 65 years old. My mom gave it to me and my first born, Dennis, his first Christmas. He was six months old. It was used by every one of my five baby boys. Some time after Gil grew out of it the white plastic tray disappeared. It has been used for many things, especially a step stool when painting, wallpapering or reaching up high. For years I could sit in it, no long fit any more. It has been recovered so many times I've lost count. Different colors to match kitchen decor or just because it needed it. The last time it was recovered was just after we moved here. Also use chrome paint on the metal parts.  Some how it just doesn't seem right it and I are still here when Dennis and John are already gone. But I will never give it away and will always keep it looking good. 

I continue walking with my friends, we are walking later in the morning now - kind of waiting until it warms up some. This day it was sunny enough for the turtles to be out on the big rock. 
Maintenance people have been cleaning a lot of the reeds out of the ponds. Didn't realise this one was so big. And it continues back behind the reeds. 
Up on the river the mallards are showing up. First only one pair, now there are about 10 pair.
Just some of them. 
I finished another Diamond Painting. It is really cute and colorful. It is still not flat, but will be fine when I frame it. Not a good picture, colors are more vibrant and lots of sparkle when in right light. This is the first of a set of six all colorful and with nice sayings. 

Slowly getting things together for our trip.  Bill is way ahead of me on getting things done.
Will it all fit???
Trying to learn all the do and don'ts for flying now. Last time either of us flew was over 20 years ago. 
Bill's "Real" ID Card came in the mail, so one thing I don't have to worry about now. Also have ordered Pesos, not a very good exchange rate any more. Also trying to get all our prescriptions filled. A couple have to be special ordered - this seems to be happening more often now that the old pharmacist is gone. And one of Bill's takes forever to get. (Took over four weeks last time.) He feels that his eye is getting better with the new injection. Hope so. He will have one more injection before we leave. 
Got our Covid shots the other day, no reaction for me, he felt sleepy for a day - then fine. I hope he is one of the 30 - 40% that has improvement from long covid. Not the 3 -8 % that get worse after the shot. Last night was the first time in months that when he went into the bedroom he was walking at a normal pace instead of dragging. And he had a busy day yesterday, even took a walk. So good to see that. 

5 comments:

SandyM said...

Love hearing all the good news about getting ready for your trip to Mazatlan. Will be wonderful for both of you. Enjoy to the fullest and take lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story of the highchair. Hugs to you both. Nancy

SandyM said...

I like the story of the high chair. My sister just gave me a little table we kids had in our “play house” many, many years ago. I do smaller puzzles on it and think of the many mud pies we served on it!

Carol and Bill said...

Sandy - looking forward to the trip. But a lot different than having the RV and car. Enjoyed your table story
Nancy - thanks

Contessa said...

It will indeed be a different way to get to Mexico. FYI you should ask the airline for boarding assistance for Bill. They will wheelchair form the check in counter right to the plane. It will save him a lot of energy and he won't be worn out before he gets out of the airport. NO charge for this service!