Monday, August 2, 2021

Another fine mess I've gotten myself into.

Well July was an interesting month. We had days of over 115 then days of high 90's with monsoons. Here in our area we got over three inches of rain in a week and a half. We haven't had that much in the last two years. Supposed to have a dry week of high temperatures and then by the weekend maybe more rain. 

Between the weather and the rise in Covid cases we've pretty much stayed home. Only been out to send some packages and grocery store. So that gave me time to do puzzles and watch TV. A couple of the puzzles I've finished. This one took me several days to finish. Each and every piece had at least four different colors on it. Fun though, only 500 pieces. 

This one only 150 pieces from the same box set turned out puzzling. 11 pieces were missing. The one lone piece I found under the table after I took the picture. But the corner ones never got in the package I guess. So some one  else probably got a whole bunch of extra pieces.
Like I mentioned I've been watching TV - sewing shows - which I shouldn't do. So I now have a new project. It is a piecing quilted wall hanging. But one like I've never tried before. Kind of on the idea of my ladies and covered bridge, but using a whole different method. 

The lady showing how to do it has a web site "How To Sew Art" Her show was making a quilt from a photograph. But she usually does portraits. Well I got the bright idea to use a landscape photo. Check her work out here 
This is the original it is actually a painting I bought. But liked the colors so...First I had to take a photo of the painting. 
Then I had to make a line drawing pattern of it. 
Then I had to scan it into a resizing program that I use for stained glass. The pattern was then on four pieces of paper - taped them together. 
Then over the pattern put a piece of fusible web and over that a piece of parchment paper. Redrew the lines on the parchment paper so they were clear. The parchment paper then becomes the pattern for the material. 
Started working on it this morning while it is still cool in the house. Cut the piece from the paper then put it on the material and cut it out. Put it where it belongs on the to be quilt. Usually one fuses the pattern to the material and then cuts it to size then put it on the printed quilt pattern. That is how I did the ladies and the covered bridge. Well this way is much harder. There is no support for the materiel when cutting it. So it is slow going. Especially when long thin pieces. 
The really different thing about this project will be all the sewing after all the pieces are fused to the backing. Almost every bit of the material will have stitching on it. Giving the finished product a really different look. 
The finished detail will be in the stitching. So right now I am wondering why I even started something like this. It looked fun...


Grandma on the Road said...

I cannot imagine having the patience to finish your newest project!! Good luck and show us pictures of the final result. Judy

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a lot of work!

SandyM said...

Good to see your post and what a project you have started. Will be happy to see finished product. I feel sure we have walked by that section of street you are doing in the art project. If not one very much like it!

Stay well and stay safe and hope we all get to go to Mexico this Winter 21/22. I am a tad worried.

Carol and Bill said...

Judy - I am beginning to wonder if I have he patience too. It is moving slowly.
Actually it will be a lot more work then I thought it would be. And am only just beginning.
Sandy - this project should keep me busy for a long time. It is very typical of Mazatlan.