Thursday, August 12, 2021

I made a big mistake with the quilt wall hanging.

Trying to be better about posting. Even when there isn't much interesting going on. Mainly I'm working on the quilt wall hanging. It is about 20 inches by 15.5 inches. Right at this minute I feel like throwing it in the trash. But it isn't the quilts fault it is mine. I used the WRONG fusible web when I set it up. For you non sewers the fusible web holds all the pieces together - it is sticky and glues everything together when ironed. Well the one I used gums up my needle - So what happens when the needle gums up - the thread breaks! I have spent more time threading - or trying - to thread the needle then sewing. The web also gums up the hole/eye of the needle. So it has to be cleaned out before it can be rethreaded. Between my eyesight and shaking hands in good times it is hard to thread the needle. But one thing I am is persistent! Here are some photos showing how far I've gotten. All of the big pieces have been sewn down. I have started some of the detail stitching. 

One section. Need to put in all the shading and the trim on the lamp and the bricks. 
Another part.Still needs all detail stitching. 
This is the back, shows all I've done so far. Also I can only work on it up to about 2 p.m. As then the suns hits that wall and it gets too hot in there. 
It seemed like a good idea when I started it. . .
Was reading one of the Facebook pages from Mazatlan and thought this was interesting. This person was asked about going grocery shopping in WalMart in Mazatlan. Her response. "The stores follow the rules. Ask for your vaccine paper, check your temperature, put alcohol on your hands. No problem to get in. Only one person per family, no children under 12 years allowed in and no young people under 18 without vaccine paper or negative test. " Every one must wear masks, even outdoors and it is being enforced. If someone manages to get into a store or restaurant and the police catch them both the person and the store/restaurant or taxi get fined. One person even got arrested. Vaccines are being given as fast as they can distribute them. So we are hoping that by November things will be okay. 
Finished another puzzle - a picture of part of a pizza - it took me a few days to finish. I did the border then found nothing for a while. Then gathered all the pieces with green on them and put them together, easier after that. 
The great grand baby I made the quilt for was born yesterday. Seven pounds seven ounces, her name is Seraphina. She lives in Arizona and has one older sister.
That's all the news from here. 

8 comments:

Christine Allen said...

You do such beautiful work. I feel your frustration for the "extra" tedious difficulty making your own mistakes adds on to projects. Always keeps me humble.

Stay cool and stay healthy.

Tina Allen

SandyM said...

Your wall hanging is going to be beautiful.
New Great grand daughter - how lovely and she will love the blanket you made especially for her when she is a little older.
.

Ruth's Life is Good said...

Your talents never cease to amaze me. Your quilt is terrific!!

Just so I don't fall out of the habit I write my blog every day no matter how mundane the day might have been 😁😁😁

Kathy Tycho said...

Wow that pizza looks good enough to eatπŸ˜‰ So glad Mazatlan is being vigilant about Covid.

Dirk Digler said...

I’m here and enjoying your musings. I never miss a post and go to look for you often. Thank you for your time and effort to share your world. Hope Bill is well. Get behind him for a picture. Best to you both. Dirk

Jackie McGuinness said...

You should name the quilt Calle Angel Flores.

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear of your problems with the rv. Just hope the insurance company treats you fairly.
At least they did not have time to do too much damage.

Larry Luening

Carol and Bill said...

Forgive the delay for answering all of your great comments
Tina - yes nothing like messing up one's project for not paying attention. Oh well.
Sandy - just hope her older sister lets her have her quilt. Glad she is here
and healthy.
Ruth - I should try to do some type of blog every day, but it is easy to think "well not much to write about so...." For a few days now I have stuff to write about.
Kathy - I know, when I finished the puzzle I wanted to go get a pizza. Too much effort to go though. We talked to Paco he is waiter at Torres. He and Family are fine have shots. All workers at Torres are fine. Things are being enforced. Good. Hope it clears up by fall.
Dirk - good to hear from you. I'll try to get a picture of Bill, he is fine. Bored like me. Hate being inside so much but too hot to go out. 108 today.
Jackie - I want Bill to take his drone up and get some good pictures of that street this year.
Larry - yep - hope things move along so everything is ready by fall. Some one called police and they went right there. Still good people in this weird world.