Sunday, May 5, 2019

Small excursions

We are still being reminded that when you are our age you do not just fluff off the flu. We wake up roaring to go but just doing a few things and we are worn out. Every day seems to get better though. On Thursday we thought we do a couple of things to get out of the house. The first thing we did was to visit our son at his office across town. Enjoyed visiting with him for a while. Then because I wanted to get some new stained glass to make a couple of lamp shades, and because we were already across town we went to visit our friends Chuck and Lee at their glass store. This is what I want to do. Before it got knocked off the end table this was a very pretty lamp shade that I made years ago. Notice the crack in one of the panes and half of the top is missing. Our bedroom where this pair of lamps is used is in autumn colors - so the pink never did really go in it. 
The remaining intact shade on the lamp. I've been talking about making new ones since we moved here to Vegas. So guess now is a good time. I have enough of one glass to make one shade but not enough of any other color to make the second shade. But, by the time we got to Glass Art Inc [check out their web site here] and we visited a bit Bill had run out of get up and go. So we left without buying any glass. Good excuse to go back over there soon. There shop is where I first took lessons in stained glass. So thanks to both of them I have had many hours of fun and frustration. 
When we got home both of us took a nap. 
On Friday, early we took a drive out to Lake Las Vegas. As the crow flies it is a little over 5 miles, to drive there it is about 12 miles. You can read a little bit about the area here.
We haven't been out this way for a couple of years. Sure a lot more houses on the road out. The area around the actual community is all dry brown desert, so it does seem like an oasis. 
It is amazing what water can do in the desert. 
Didn't realize how high this area was. Mount Charleston way to the west. The building in the middle is on the Strip - The Stratosphere. Way to the right is downtown Vegas. 
The red arrow points to the water tower that is in The Wetlands, just behind our home. From the Strip to this road where we were is about 14 1/2 miles due west. 
One of the reason I wanted to drive out there was to get some pictures of this bridge - it is part of a hotel/resort. It is patterned after the Ponte de Vecchio in Florence, Italy. Usually when the sun is right it has a beautiful reflection in the lake. Well as you can see the sun wasn't right. Can't even see the colors of the buildings. Oh well another time. 
Part of Lake Las Vegas, this part is being graded for new homes. 
One side of the street all pretty landscaping. 
The other side of the street - dry desert. Again, amazing what water can do. 
Lots of gulf courses here. And lots of ducks and geese hanging out by the water. 
Another waterfall oasis. 
As I said every day we have a little more energy. Yesterday we went to the market and then out for breakfast. There was a car club there eating. I like the orange car. 
And this one too. Notice the open windows on the driver's side. Distinctive grill on it. And hood ornament. 
Fixed paella for dinner last night. Pretty good, but used the last of my saffron. Need to go to Mexico to buy more. Way cheaper there than here. 
Today I'm just waiting for the NASCAR race to begin and hopefully finish. Raining in Dover. 

6 comments:

phxxer said...

I couldn’t find the “Big Wheel” in you skyline photos. I thought it should have been near your red arrow. What has happened to the tall hotel where they found the steel was undersized?
Phil

Contessa said...

I have never heard of Lake Las Vegas. Lovely area. We will have to check out that bridge. We walked for the original one in Florence last May and enjoyed a lovely meal at one of the many restaurants on it.

Glad you are pacing yourselves.

Carol and Bill said...

The Big Wheel at Link would be to the left of the sign post. The photo was from too far away for it to show. They took that hotel down a few years ago.

Carol and Bill said...

The area is pretty but a lot of the shops are now closed.

linda mila said...

I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr muthuka who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr muthuka send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr muthuka, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr muthuka did it for me, contact him muthukaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsApp him on +2349039175109 https://www.facebook.com/Muthukaherbalremedy/      
https://drmuthukaherbalcenter.webs.com/https://www.facebook.com/HerpesandHPVcure/?modal=admin_todo_tour

linda mila said...

I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr muthuka who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr muthuka send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr muthuka, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr muthuka did it for me, contact him muthukaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsApp him on +2349039175109 https://www.facebook.com/Muthukaherbalremedy/      
https://drmuthukaherbalcenter.webs.com/https://www.facebook.com/HerpesandHPVcure/?modal=admin_todo_tour