Thursday, August 17, 2017

A productive day and another meal from the box.

Yesterday morning while it was still cool out Bill pulled up the plants that were dead from our actual front yard. Where the front door is - but we never go that way.  We took them back to the nursery and got a refund then spent it all plus 17 cents more on new plants. Mostly we got yellow, orange and red lantanas. They seem to grow good here with out much care. The ones we planted in the spring are beautiful and big. The only bush we bought was this one. Another desert plant that doesn't need much care. It will have big orange and red flowers on it and it gets about six feet tall. Will block our view of the drainage ditch and block wall. All of these plants are on automatic drip sprinklers. 
 Gardner planting more lantanas along the neighbors picket fence. He also installed drip sprinklers. 
 More along the back wall. 
 Bill talking to the gardeners. These guys are the maintenance workers for the community. They are glad to work for residents after their regular hours, for pay of course. 
Well we got caught up in the last four-sided house inspection. They want us to replace some of the skirting on our manufactured home. We've been talking about doing it but never got it done. So guess it will get done now. Most of it is okay, just this one piece, that can be seen from the road, that is ugly. 
 I've been diligently working on my projects. Bill turned the window over for me so now I've started to solder the backside of it. No pictures. Only worked a little on it this morning. Shaking too much. Got the solder all over the glass instead of on the copper foil. 
Working on quilt too. I have the top row - the one on the bottom of the picture - put together. Also the third and fourth rows are sewn in strips. The only place to spread it out is on the floor of the small room, so going from living room to back rooms we now have to go through kitchen or walk on it. I do roll it up every day after I finish working on it. 
We had our second meal from the box tonight. Buttered-Up-Steak. This is how it looked when I took it out of its bag. Green beans, garlic cloves, gold Yukon potatoes, Dijon mustard and sirloin steak. All I had to add while cooking it was a couple drizzles of olive oil and butter for the herb butter. From here until we sat down was about 40 minutes. 
 The recipe, explains every step.
 Finished meal. It was very, very good. Potatoes and green beans very flavorful and steak tender and tasty. Plenty enough to feed two. 
The thing I like about it is - we've gotten into a rut eating - the same few things all the time. At least we are eating something different now. And I've forgotten how many things there are to eat. And how easy it is to fix something different. I might order another three meals for next week - if we decide not to go anywhere. 
Tomorrow we'll have our third meal. That's got to be a record, me cooking three nights in a row!

No comments: